Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Colic


As you get ready for a baby, you do all you can to be prepared. Get everything you will need, read different books etc etc... Well let me tell you, nothing I did prepared me for Colic. My mom always told me what a hard baby I was. I was fussy all the time and could never be put down. As soon as I was laid down, I would start screaming. Pretty much horrible for my mom. She joked with me during my pregnancy that I was going to have a baby just like I was. Pay back she said. Well guess what?? At about 2 weeks, colic hit. Not fun at all. I have never heard a baby scream like Ryder does. He will scream so hard that eventually no sound comes out. It is one of the worst sounds ever! It's so hard to watch your baby in pain. He just gets the worst tummy aches. One minute he is fine and content, and the next he is pulling his legs up, his tummy is hard, and he's flailing around and screaming and worst of all, there is nothing you can do. He's absolutely inconsolable. Then as quickly as he started the process, he's just fine and relaxed again. This would all happen at the same times every evening and would go on into the night. We tried everything we could think of. I began by trying to cut different things out of my diet. Oranges, tomatoes, chocolate, caffeine.. We tried Mylicon drops, which seemed to help his symptoms for about ten or fifteen minutes. We had heard from a woman that my Mom works with, that going to a chiropractor can help. They don't do any major adjustments, they just massage down the spine and try to get any vertebrae that have gotten misplaced back in the right spot. We did this twice which seemed to help a little bit. I think he mostly just liked the massage he got. We also tried Gripe Water. Three different kinds of Gripe Water to be exact. The pictures above are of Ryder taking Colic Calm brand. One of the ingredients is charcoal which makes it black. It's the messiest, but works really well. Next I stopped breastfeeding and I gave him soy formula. Not only was the formula rank, but I hated not breastfeeding. I was actually glad that didn't work because I would have been really sad if I couldn't feed my baby anymore. The final think that I tried, and the thing that has helped the most... I cut dairy out of my diet. It's amazing the difference that it has made! Ryder is still a little bit fussy, but not anything like he was before. I'm so glad that I finally found something that has helped.

2 comments:

Mrs. Micek said...

Poor little Ryder! I feel so bad. That has to be so hard on you too! I was the same way when I was a baby and my mom just substituted soy milk for EVERYTHING! It worked and I was fine after that. Turns out I'm lactose intollerant so to this day I cant have hardly any milk... Maybe he's the same way.. I hope he gets to feeling better and you can relax a little!! By the way he is so precious and I love looking at his sweet pictures!! Your such a cute mom!!!

Love,
Ali

The Schaefermeyer Family! said...

Hi, my name is Brittney Schaefermeyer, I went to school with Chase....Brittney Pond, I have a 9 month old boy and when he was 2 weeks old he did the same thing....He was so fussy all the time and only would calm down if I was holding him.....I took him back to the docs so many times I thought he was colicky, but nothing worked...finally I took him to get a second opinion and silent reflux was what this doc said, I thought well...I'll try anything to get some sleep...so some Zantac later....totally different baby. He only took the medicine until he was 6 months, but boy he was such a better baby! Best Wishes! Being a mom is fun and rewarding, but so hard sometimes!